Sunday, July 12, 2009

MUDFEST!!!


The sky was gray and overcast on Saturday morning and as I rode the escalator towards the outbound trains in my well seasoned swim trunks and fluorescent green cut-off T-shirt I couldn't help but speculate if a downpour would cancel the festivities. I would discover soon enough that the answer to that question was no. The train terminal was already packed with foreigners in floral print and flip flops yet it took only moments to locate my group. I slung the bull with some familiar faces and before you know it we were rocketing southbound on the Korail. My financial assets for the trip were nominal but I had a backpack full of Ham and Cheese sandwiches and as fate would have it there was a group of starving military personnel who begged to pay exorbitant prices for my culinary delights. And that's how I made beer money.

My initial impression of Mudfest was the chaotic madness you would expect. Slick, brown covered crowds, giant inflatable slides, exotic food stands, mud wrestling pits, elaborate jesters, loud music, and of course plenty of Cass. I could sit here all night thinking of colorful ways to describe the festivities but it's probably easier to just let the pictures do the talking.









For the past week all I could think about was doing some mud wrestling and I'm pretty sure I challenged just about everyone who would listen to a bout in the dirt. Unfortunately, after only a few minutes in a large mosh pit someone came down on my head with an elbow, causing blood to pour down my face and I ended up in the infirmary. In the end it wasn't as bad as it looked and after rubbing some Kimchi on the wound I was back out in the game.


The early afternoon was an alternating patrol of playing in the mud pits, chilling on the beach, and swimming in the Yellow Sea. By six-o-clock most people in my group were going back to the crowded room for showers, heading to dinner, or restocking on Cass. I remember trying to swim out to the firework barge as the golden orb of the sun settled behind an ashen horizon but I eventually surrendered to the distance and drifted back towards the shallows. An hour after the sun went down the sky opened up and it began to pour rain. It was futile to use an umbrella in such conditions so I conceded to being soaked as I made my way back to the beach for the fireworks. There I stood in the torrent, rapid rivulets of water cascading down my face, staring awestruck at the brilliant plumes blossoming in the sky. The explosions were set off seemingly right above our heads and while it may not have been the most elaborate fireworks show I have ever witnessed, the proximity to the crowd demanded veneration. The night flowed onward, defined by food, rain, and beer, but free from any design or order.

In the morning the rain was just as bad if not worse and there were several hours to pass between checking out of the room and boarding the train. A popular vote took us to E-Mart for food and entertainment. At the station a thousand wet and rancid foreigners crowded the benches and hallways waiting for the next train. As I observed a large crowd waiting in line for last minute tickets I couldn't help but quietly smile, glad that we had purchased our tickets far in advance. Though I was exhausted, the train ride home was hilarious and in high spirits so sleeping was out of the question. When I finally arrived back at my apartment, still wet from the morning downpour, I opened my door only to sink my feet in six inches of water. A pipe had broken in the bathroom and flooded my apartment.

I have to apologize for not posting something sooner but gallivanting carelessly amidst a monsoon left me with a bad head-cold, such that thinking straight was a challenge to say nothing of writing. Before I go there are a few thanks and announcements I'd like to make note of.

To Mom and Dad: thank you for the care package from the U.S. Nothing instills warm feelings of home like my tent, XBOX games, and goldfish crackers.

To Sue and Justin Tiffin: thanks for putting together the Mudfest trip. I know what a pain in the rear it can be to organize such an event and you guys did an awesome job. If there are any foreigners in Korea who need help getting around the country I highly recommend The Yeogiyo.

To Kimberly Jochum: Most people were afraid to carry a camera around Mudfest for fear of getting it dirty but Kimberly remained a dedicated photographer and was kind enough to post all her pictures to Facebook. All the pictures in this blog entry are from her camera so thanks for sharing.

To Chris David: You may notice the new banner on the main page of the blog. Chris was kind enough to do some Photoshopping for me because I'm too lazy to figure out how to do it myself. Chris has a favor coming to him which he'll get as soon as he specifies the details.

To my brother Jonathan: Happy Birthday you old salt.


Cool Thing About Korea #17: Mudfest duh

2 comments:

  1. Hi I'm the owner of webpage www.nowseoul.comI have something to tell you so please e-mail me to let me know your email address my mail address is [kwonsoonb@naver.com]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the birthday wishes. Keep on owning Korea. - Jon

    ReplyDelete