Sunday, August 30, 2009

So You Want to Start a Website?

As I mentioned in a previous post, I began studying HTML, CSS, and Javascript in order to breathe new life into my blog and differentiate it from the pack. While researching mouse-over image displays like Lightbox and Flash Media Players that will enable me to host my own video I realized that Blogger is too limited a medium for what I want to accomplish with this periodical. It was during this moment of divine revelation that I resolved to build my own website. I already have a Domain name and acquiring web hosting is both easy and cheap. Therefore the only thing left for me to do is design the website from the ground up. Easier said than done.

The first thing I did was to go out and buy Adobe Master Suite for $2,499. Ha! Then I began teaching myself Dreamweaver and Photoshop. These programs are very difficult for an amateur such as myself who has absolutely no background with graphic or website design. Fortunately, thanks to Youtube, there is a tutorial out there for just about any topic you can think of.

I concluded that one of the most important parts of any website is the main banner/logo. It is what any visitor is going to identify with when they first see the site and it's what will remain in their subconscious after they leave. After messing around with Photoshop and Illustrator for four hours I came up with this:


My next step was to build the basic architecture of my site in Dreamweaver. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing in this department but thanks to some online tutorials on Youtube I managed to get a basic structure down in about five hours. It blows my mind how young some of the people are who are making these technical videos. Here's a basic Dreamweaver walk-through by a thirteen year old kid. Click Here!

That's about it for my weekend. I know it sounds kind of lame and boring but I find it pretty intriguing (enough so that three brand new XBOX games I picked up in Yongson two days ago have remained untouched while I struggle with HTML tags and values). Hopefully this website will be up and running by the end of the week so I can get back to having Deadly Quests. Also, next paycheck I'm planning on getting a good camcorder and working the format of the site over towards video instead of just journal entries. Well that's it. Thanks for reading.

Cool Thing About Korea #26: ATM's make you take your card before it will give you the money so you don't accidentally leave it in the machine.

1 comment:

  1. Eric...you might want to look into using Wordpress. I use Blue Host which has an easy, one-click installation of Wordpress and you can upload all sorts of themes and plug-ins to give your blog a new look.

    Wordpress also has a back-end probably similar to blogger that gives you ability to manage all your postings. Hope this helps. Sounds like your having a fun time out there. Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete