Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Back to Work...In Theory.

     The cold spell finally broke here in Korea and while people I know in North America are suffering through perpetual snow storms, I've been running around Topdong in gym shorts.  With the weather being the way it is I've finally been able to get back to Chilbo San for the first time in nearly two months.  Man I love going to that place.  The brisk run past black flooded farm fields waiting to be seeded.  The hasty climb over muddy rocks and roots through the tranquil wooded mountain side.  Perching myself on the summit and gazing out over the metropolis rippled terrain laid out before me.  Many afternoons, before taking on the bustling crowds and ceaseless nightlife of Seoul, I go there simply to clear my thoughts and tire my body.  I stand up on the ridge line facing north with the wind in my hair, pondering the future and the past.  People I've affected for better or worse.  Things I'm proud of and things I regret.  Where I'm going and where I've been.
     
     With so many people leaving or moving over the past few days there were quite a few reasons to push the usual excitement of a Korean weekend to the next level.  Friday was nothing but good times until my shoes were stolen in a luxury norebang but on Saturday I won a thick wad of cash throwing dice at Go Gos.  Maybe there is balance in the universe.  What else can I say about the awesome clubbing scene in Seoul except that I'll miss it?  It's going to be difficult to re-acclimate myself to the phony Irish pubs, yuppie jazz bars, and hick-ridden beer joints that have a 2am last call in Pennsylvania.  I've gotten too accustomed to partying until sunrise amongst a mega-diverse influx of world citizens in a city of endless possibilities.  
     
     Monday of this week was a holiday celebrating Korean independence from Japan.  I wasn't expecting fireworks, hot dogs, or any of the usual conventions I associate with liberation from an oppressive foreign power, but I was still pretty disappointed when I found that Koreans don't do anything at all to commemorate the occasion.  Can't complain about having a day off though.  Called my mother to wish her a happy 38th birthday, did some laundry, pushed some weight around at the gym, and joined a few of the local Topdong girls for raw tuna.  
     
     So after more than two months of contributing absolutely nothing that can be considered productive the students have finally returned to school and I'm ready to work.  I can't tell you how excited I am to end this monotonous routine I've slipped into and actually teach classes again.  I have lesson plans prepared, I've ironed my office attire, hell...I'm even coming to work freshly shaven for a change.  But unfortunately, it doesn't look like I'll be getting into the classroom anytime soon as that part of the building is still in shambles due to the ongoing construction.  I guess, until further notice, it's back to reading e-books, playing flash games, surfing collegehumor.com, and opening my mind to any other distractions that promise to make the day go by faster.  

Cool Thing About Korea #47: Suhyup Bank. Fresh Bank. Fresh Fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment