Thursday, April 8, 2010

Woof Woof


Well I went out to eat Gaegogi (dog soup) with Mr. Kim last night.  I've only had it twice before and I really wanted to give it another go before I left the country.  "Oh my God Eric that is disgusting!"  No it's not. It is delicious. In fact it is a delicacy.  It has simply been stigmatized because people associate that moist, dark, tangy flesh with the ball chasing quadruped smiling stupidly at them from the living room floor. "But Eric you have pet dogs. You're a hypocrite." I do in fact have pet dogs and I love them very much. I would never dream of eating them...unless for some reason I was starving...or just too lazy to order a pizza. But there are also people in this world who consider cows, pigs, goats, and chickens to be pets, yet these emotional attachments haven't spared their particular species from the dinner table.  I suppose it's all about being able to make distinctions.  Distinguishing between the dog on your plate and the dog at the foot of your bed is like distinguishing between that person whose calls you don't return and the one you can bring home to mom and dad.  
But enough justifying the more flavorful virtues of man's best friend.  I can assure you we had a splendid time.  Dinner was cooked to perfection and in accordance with the folklore surrounding this particular dish I left feeling vital and full of energy.  Also, Mr. Kim asked me to drive his car home.  I haven't driven a car since last November so racing his souped up Hyundai Avante down rustic farm roads was a blast.

Cool Thing About Korea #52: Chilbo Middle School.  Here's a little video of the place I've been working at for the past year and a behind the scenes look at one of my classes.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I found your blog randomly through the ESL website. I am also an English teacher in Korea. Love reading your posts and checking out your pictures.

    Just thought i'd let you know!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete