Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A Journey to the Far Side of the World

“Attention passengers, this is your Captain on board Flight 1127 non-stop from Detroit to Tokyo. We have reached our cruising altitude of 28,000 feet and are traveling at 540 M.P.H. Dinner will be served as we cross over Siberia and the in-flight movie today is Snakes on a Plane. It is now safe to remove your seat-belts and move about the cabin as well as turn on any personal electronic devices.”

Well it’s about time. I have some serious blogging to do. Before I cut into the meat of this entry let me just sat that I have been fascinated by aircraft my whole life and I’ve always wanted to fly on the fabled 747. Now that I’m actually on board one of these gorgeous birds I have to admit that it’s really no different from any other commercial aircraft. While the five-course meal was top-notch for airline food I’m actually a little disappointed that there were no electric outlets. I’ve been on board smaller Airbus planes that had places to plug in one’s electrical devices and I kind of expected the same from Boeing’s most recognizable people mover. The lack of this simple amenity means that my laptop will likely run out of juice less than a quarter of the way to Japan. Oh well, I suppose I’ll just have to start reading all of those cool books I picked up at the Embassy library. Thanks again awesome librarian.

A good deal of my time over the past few days has been spent saying goodbye. I don’t think that I realized what I was leaving behind (sacrificing actually) in my quest for eastern enlightenment, until it came time to part with the people and things I love most in this world. I’m so lucky to have this contingent of friends and family who cherish my company and support my decisions. It is to all of these people that I dedicate this entry. May you all find happiness in your separate paths. I am already anxious for the day when we can eat, drink, and laugh in each other’s company once again.

First and foremost I dedicate this to the person who knows the deepest parts of my soul, the love of my life and girlfriend of three years, Rachael. I love you more than anything and will miss you desperately. I’m so fortunate to have a best friend like you who understands and supports what I’m trying to do with my life. I have to say that this journey did not even seem real until this morning as we stood outside the Northwestern Airlines Terminal, holding each other in the rain and saying goodbye. I watched as you drove away and realized that it would be one of the few moments in my life in which I could not conjure words powerful enough to convey my emotions. I love you and will talk to you everyday.

To Sammie, I know you can’t read but we grew up together and as corny as it may sound, you’re one of my dearest friends. I know you’re getting old and my absence is strenuous to you. I also know that the odds of seeing you alive again are slim. Your love was always unconditional and it’s a debt I’ll probably never be able to repay. Some people may never know the unique joy that is borne out of the friendship between man and cat.
Jacklyn, You’re becoming a beautiful woman and it shames me that I spent so little time with you as you grew up. It’s a misfortune that I pray I’ll be given the opportunity to rectify one day. I know you stay so busy with school, running, swimming, and boldly moving forward with your future but if you are ever graced with the time and the resources you are welcome to come explore South Korea with me. Love you more than you can know sister.
Parents and siblings and other relatives, I’m not going to break down my graciousness to every member of the clan. This is only a thirteen-hour flight after all. But thanks for all of your love and support through the years. I’m a better person because of you all.

Esmeralda: All right this is really just the name I gave my 1999 Mazda Miata MX-5. Yes there are far cooler cars out there but this is truly the best $5000 investment I have ever made. When people ask me why a 6’4”, 240lb guy wants to drive the tiniest car on the road I like to say that, “The Mazda Miata embodies 100 years of British-roadster expertise re-engineered to the standards of Japanese reliability. Driving the MX-5 is never about the destination, it’s all about how you get there.” I have a soft spot for a curvy section of road out near the Limerick Generating Station. Top-down at twilight, climbing to the next gear at 5000 R.P.M, that perfect exhaust note more sublime than whatever track of Grace Under Pressure might be reverberating through the crystal component speakers. As the cooling towers come up over the next curve I briefly manipulate the clutch, allowing the 1.8L naturally aspirated boxer motor to let out a determined meow before reconnecting with the rear wheels and sending me hurtling around the corner while the warm July night breezes through my hair. Oh and it gets like 35 M.P.G. highway too.

So what about my friends? I have to admit that I am astounded you people like me so much and I am honored you’ve all seen fit to make me a part of your lives. I am not deserving of such loyalty or companionship. Somehow I managed to have not one going away party, but two. What an awesome ego boost. I shall describe the events of these two grand escapades in as much detail as I can muster, if not for your reading pleasure then perhaps to pass the time.

Two Saturday’s ago I had just finished an exhausting day of delivering pizzas (if driving a Miata around the West Chester country side listening to heavy metal can ever be exhausting) when I returned to Rachael’s house. Earlier in the day my good buddy Allen had made me promise to hang out with him around 9:00 P.M. and for the life of me I simply figured we’d get a few six packs while he tortured me with whatever new sound he figured out his guitars could make. Since I had dedicated my evening to Bloominhour, Rachael informed me that she would be going out with her sister. While freshening up I got distracted by the Internet and ended up reading about Nikolai Tesla on Wikipedia.org until nearly 9:45. I was unaware that there was a plot in the works so I took my time strolling to Allen, Mike, and Gabe’s bitchin’ corner apartment in the heart of WC. I should have realized something was up as I crossed the street and noticed three apparent “look-outs” scatter from the kitchen window at my approach. Similarly as I entered the second-floor domicile, the haste in which Allen and Mike insisted that I follow them into the “studio” should have tripped some internal warning system, but alas I remained ignorant that a stratagem was in the works. Should the SURPRISE that followed been a live hand grenade I would probably not be here telling this tale for I was completely off my guard, but fortunately for you reader it was only all of my dearest friends in the world who jumped out at me.

Okay you guys got me really good that night. Thanks. I stood there like a deer in headlights for a solid two minutes before the shock wore off. All the pictures of my surprised face make me look like I drew a blank in the bonus round of a game show. Rachael and her sister were there which blew my mind because she had me convinced they were at T.G.I. Friday’s. Where’d you learn to lie so well sweetheart? It was also good that some friends I see only sparingly like Mignona and Naihos managed to make it. After the surprise part was over the event transpired into a typical Saturday evening get together. Lots of cool people showed up, friends and strangers alike. Thanks for the well wishes. Thanks for the memories. And most importantly, thanks to everyone who bought the beer.

All right time out. I’m down to %52 power on my laptop and The Express is starting as the in flight movie. Yeah it’s not Snakes on a Plane but that would’ve been pretty funny right? I’ll probably finish this entry up during my layover in Tokyo.

Tokyo…awesome. As I departed the plane I paused to take a picture and savor the sexy lines of the 747. It boggles me that something so mammoth, powerful, and sexy on the outside can be so sterile and boring on the inside. I’m pretty tired and I’m sure I smell like a shoe. Back home it’s almost 2 a.m. while here it’s just turning three in the afternoon. Cashed in a $20 for a 1000 Yen bill and a bunch of coins. Then I went to go find food. Forget the McDonalds, I need as much Japanese culture as the airport can afford me. Wandered into this traditional looking spot and after ten minutes of pointing at pictures and trying to explain that I have no idea how the currency works I managed to get a pretty good meal. Fresh pork, rice, soup, sprouts, a bottle of coke, and a bottle of sake. Even impressed some locals with how masterful I am with a pair of chopsticks. The best part was how hard it was just to communicate. That’s why I’m here. To struggle.

So where were we? Right, the day before I ship off. Rachael and I enjoy a quality beer when we’re presented with the opportunity so we decided to spend my last night in the States at Victory Brewery with whoever decided to join us. I called the restaurant and reserved a table for ten before sending a text message to everyone in my phone book. In all honesty I only expected four or five people to show up on a Sunday night, but wasn’t I blown away when over thirty people came to see me off. We certainly made those servers work for their tips didn’t we? Well, you all know I made a promise. After eight or nine Golden Monkeys I foolishly declared that I would write an embarrassing Haiku on my blog for everyone who decided to join us for dinner. I’m a man of my word. Here’s your pay off in no particular order.

Chris
Pharmacist by day
Hot tub in garage owner
Parties through the night.


Tara
Always happy smile
That you would not expect from
Hard core field hockey chick

Jim
I wish I knew how
You came to be a teacher
Has to be mistake

Cait
You have one year to
Grow your hair longer again
Super sexy nurse

Jay
Too many fun times
To chronicle within
A simple Haiku

Kat
I remember this
One time at Sig Ep dancing
Naked on table

Scott
I’m proud of you pal
I know you have what it takes
To be a father

Jen
Soon to be mommy
Once kicked my big ass
Playing power hour



Erin
Can you get your Dad
To clear my parking tickets
Meter maids hate me

Nicole
Jew can’t just wear one
Frankenboot. Jew need to wear
One on each foot silly!

Rachael
I promise I won’t
Post any of those pictures
On the Internet

Aaron
Moose has gone down hill
Just let it go already
Find a new hang out

Guy with Aaron
I don’t know you guy
Thanks for coming anyway
Cool ninja T-Shirt

Paul
You sure know how to
Have a good time there buddy
Gonna miss yo face

Allen
Guitarist sent here
By aliens to save the
World from destruction

Mike
Zombies are coming
Board up your windows and doors
Shoot them in the head

Lance
Tallest gun totin,’
Car fixin, rock and rollin’
Guy west of Philly

Girl with Lance
I feel that we had
A good chat about something
I can’t remember

Guilia
Secret government
Yuegermeister fueled weapon
And good drinkin pal

Chris
Passes out in truck
Foot on accelerator
Where are the police?

Dave
Thanks for letting us
Shoot at stuff in your backyard
Can I borrow Corvette?

Joe
Flat ballcap wearin’
Trader Joe employee and
All around good guy

Merkle
Come out of closet
No one will judge you. Promise.
Your kind has rights now.

Gabe
Can one write Haiku
That could make Gabe any more cool?
Not very likely

Alright there you have it. If I left anyone out I’m sorry but I’m beat. Just leave a comment and I’ll churn something clever out in your honor. Next and last flight leaves in two minutes and I’m sleepin’ the whole way. Keep hangin hard USA!

1 comment:

  1. A tear just fell from Sammie's furry little cheek as I read your dedication to him. He is grateful and deeply touched.

    ReplyDelete