Sunday, May 10, 2009

3rd Annual Seoul World DJ Festival!


My job is awesome! I’m always a little nervous on Mondays because I’m never sure if my lesson plan for the week will work out until the first period is over, but it went awesomely today which means it’s smooth sailing the rest of the week. My work hours are 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday but I only teach for three hours a day. The rest of the time I spend on the Internet, composing next weeks lesson plan, talking to the staff, or staring out my awesome floor to ceiling windows. It was humid and rained today but the view was nonetheless spellbinding. My scope encompasses the schoolyard, agricultural fields, vineyards, a large highway, the Suwon skyline, and finally a thick ridge of mountains accentuating the horizon. There are so many flowers in Korea that the rain washes the pollen off buildings and cars in thick rivulets, consolidating the yellow substance into a substantial skin that floats on the top of puddles. After a rain storm the smell is deficient yet lively.

When school let out there was a staff dinner, paid for by the school board, which came without warning. I was about to get on a bus back to Topdong but Ms. Huh intercepted me and told me that all the teachers were going for a night out. The restaurant was a traditional Korean spot, near the entrance to Chilbo Mountain. It was the kind of place where the tables are only six inches off the ground and you have to sit cross-legged. Upon entering the establishment I was, admittedly, worried that I would be unable to sit in such a posture throughout the course of the meal, yet as the night wore on I was not only able to maintain such a stance but found myself quite comfortable. I love Korean fare. They put 20 different dishes in front of you and you pick at whatever you want. The main course was duck cooked on a grill at the table. You pick little pieces of meat up with your chopsticks, slap it on a piece of lettuce, add garlic, onion, mustard, or what else have you, roll it up, and chow down. It was the best meal I’ve had since I’ve been in the country. Koreans love their Soju and it is customary to fill your neighbors glass if you see that it is empty. As the night wore on several male members of the faculty began challenging my ability to keep up with them at their own game. “Hah”, I scoffed confidently, “this is a pastime for which my American education has me adequately prepared gentlemen! Clearly you’ve never been to West Chester, Pennsylvania.” Within an hour I had garnished their respect and my new brothers promised that they would soon take me bungee jumping. I sincerely hope they keep their word.

Before continuing, I would like to say that I am sorry for not posting an update sooner but I have not been well this past week. For four days I had, what I believed to be, a terrible cold. I was in such a state that I regrettably missed two days of classes. On Friday, I finally gave up on the "chicken soup/Gatorade/sleep/I don't have health insurance," remedy and asked to be taken to a doctor. Going to the Korean doctor was an interesting experience unto itself. We walked into the waiting room, checked in with the secretary, and took a seat. So far, not unlike going to any other doctor in the States. When they called my name I followed an assistant in to the back. The examination room had a familiar flair to it but was very alien nonetheless. Where the butcher paper covered examination table should have been sat a rigid wooden cathedra, similar in form to what you'd expect an electric execution chair to look like. Instead of a tidy cabinet complete with individually wrapped and sanitary tongue depressors, cotton swabs, and disposable thermometers, there sat a wheeled stainless-steel cart riddled with hundreds of indecipherable implements from scalpels and bone-saws to powder-filled glass jars and tooth-brushes to vacuum pumps and stethoscopes. The apparatuses at hand suggested that the practitioner was equally surgeon, dentist, and necromancer. The examination itself took less than two minutes and in that time the doctor inserted a dozen probes into my nose and mouth. Some shot bursts of air or a vinegar tasting substance while others simply sucked snot from my nasal cavity. In the end his diagnoses was that I was allergic to something in the air. He gave me a prescription and I had it filled next door less than five minutes later. The cost for the examination and the medicine was less than 9,000 Won or about $7.00 U.S. Long live socialized medicine. Go to hell and die United States privatized health care system. My medicine had enough doses for three days and after the first dose I began to feel better. Awesome!

Since I was in a decidedly better state of affairs on Saturday I figured that I was well enough to go to Seoul with Charlie. We were riding the bus to Suwon station, chatting, laughing, going on about life, love and opportunity, when a terrible concussion tore through the lull. The report rocked the bus and in an instant reality seemed miles away. I gazed around, saw terrified glares from pedestrians, could hear people talking though their voices sounded muffled, as if through ear plugs. I spun, tracing the sound of the blast and across the street I could see black smoke pouring from under a green bus, identical to the one I was riding. Was it on fire? Was it a bomb? Was it an attack? In a microsecond my brain unarchived a thousand different terrorist reports and propaganda that had been lying dormant in my cerebellum, residual observations from calcullating corporate media. As my body prepared a surge of adrenaline adequate to endure a survival situation Charlie put his hand on my shoulder and pointed at the smoking bus, "Tire blew out," he said. Really, I thought as I regained composure, was that all it was? I mean, I've had blow outs in a few cars myself but I never figured that a bus tire could go off with such a thunderous detonation . And all the black smoke! Was it atomized rubber. Don't think that I exaggerate when I say I thought it was a bomb. Regardless, it got my momentum going in the morning better than a cup of coffee ever did.

Charlie had to go to Seoul to buy books and I needed to go to a Kodak service center to get my camera fixed. Somehow Charlie managed to track down this obscure Kodak office in the middle of the city that promised to have the parts I needed for my camera. If I had a Samsung camera I could probably pick the parts up off the street but finding parts for a Kodak is like the plot of National Treasure. Well, we get to this corporate office in the capital of Korea and I can see that they have a thousand boxes of batteries, lenses, SD cards, and other contrivances stashed in the back but they don't have the specific part that I need. Go figure. So they suggest a place in Suwon, which really brought my sweat to a boil. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to paint pictures with words for my adoring audience.

Around 2 p.m. on Saturday Charlie had to disembark to take a test for a government job that he is gunning for. Since, I was feeling egregious I decided that I would join Carlos, Steph, Mark, and this cool Korean chick, Bo in Seoul for the 3rd Annual Seoul World DJ Festival. There was a slight miscomunication as to the whereabouts of the festival itself and I ended up spending the afternoon in Olympic Park, an enormous outdoor facility that I imagine hosted the world games at some point in the past. Though beautiful, the park appeared to be entertaining a few thousand boy scouts at the present and I couldn't imagine that the city planners would allow a rave festival in conjunction. Digging through my pocket for change I called Carlos, obtained the proper coordinates, and was back on board the train to Itaewon.

I had not yet seen as many foreigners in Korea as when I exited the subway in Itaewon. American, British, Austrailian, New Zealanders, and other English speakers abound. As I stood on the curb, chatting with seasoned travelers and waiting for cabs, I decided that I was not to be outdone. Casting aside public transit and taxis as the conveyance of commoners I hailed the largest, most luxurious limousine within sight, ... yes...it was a The Chairman. I arrived at the Rainbow Hotel in unparalleled style to join my companions for the evening. After several hours of procrastinating we managed to garner transportation to within walking distance of the festival.

Tickets to the festival were 50,000 Won, which we considered to be a little steep. In a foolish attempt to bypass this exhorberant fee we transversed a perilous expanse of highway via an unfinished over pass. Over scaffolding, exposed steel rebar, and plywood we crept, eight lanes of high velocity death roaring thirty feet below. We made it to the other side safely enough but there was still three or four tight barriers of security between us and bass heavy madness. It's unfortunate that the event planners were not as incompetent as we hoped they would be. After sucking it up and paying the entry fee we entered a swarm of funkadelic freaks, countless nations and creeds represented. Two huge stages pumped thick pulsing base over a rolling crowd of vivacious youths. In lost time we rebounded between various players, abandoned to the night, to the music, to the carefree mentality of the herd's strange mass, 10,000 vagabonds consolidated in a sandy plot, half a world away from the familiar. Hands flew, pillaged spirits were poured, states of being previously unequaled were achieved. I even met an astronaut.

The festival promised to roll on until 5 a.m. but there was more of Itaewon to be seen. We sold our wrist bands to new comers for 30,000 Won after three or four hours and caught a cab back into town. Itaewon has everything...shopping, clubs, food. We did some Mexican, hung out at a Hookah bar, and danced the night away. The details regarding the later part of the evening escape me as I was overcome with fatigue and I admit that I did not see the sunrise as did the majority of my compatriots, choosing instead a well deserved respite on a hard motel floor.

Another Korean weekend successfully seized! I hope that my accounts were intrepid enough for you oh steadfast reader. With that I will pledge the remaining few hours of my night to Venture Brothers re-runs and ironing. As my camera is incapacitated the pictures published here are courtesy of Mark Hayden and Stephanie Swayne. Thanks guys. Should you desire further narratives from Korea I recommend you to Mark Hayden's blog or the Korean Blog List.

Cool Thing About Korea #4: Pizza School - 12 original medium pizzas for only 5,000 Won.

9 comments:

  1. hope your feeling better. Please send me your address. Love AUnt Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eric!
    Lindsey and I have been reading your blogs...we're really proud of you! I hope you're enjoying your time over in Korea and I'm sorry to hear that you were sick =[ Keep up the good work!

    Love your favorite cousin,
    Erin =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Itaewon!!! I lived there for almost a year! Crazy place! Glad you enjoyed it!
    As for food delivery, are you not impressed/amazed that they deliver their food on scooters? It makes SO much more sense!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey,

    i'm going to be working in seoul starting sometime in july/august and i'm looking to start networking and meeting people online before i arrive. i can be reached at kixxit@gmail.com if you know of anyone willing to show me the ropes - thanks!

    antonio

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am immensely enjoying hearing about your adventures and accounts of life, Eric! You are making me want to take off for Korea for the second half of my sabbatical!

    All best,
    Dr. S

    ReplyDelete
  6. bistro bill is a goof!

    from bistro chris!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eric,

    You still check this? I was reading this this blog post in an attempt to refresh some memories from the madness of Korea.

    Someone was referred to my blog yesterday from this post, so that prompted me to take a look, actually. Anyways. This really brought back some great memories and reminded me how awesome you writing style is.
    Hope all is well, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just reading this after two years to reminisce. How ya been Mark? You still in Nebraska? How's the corn? Had some fun times with you pal. Wish you the best!

      Delete