Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Happy Birthday Colton!



This entry is dedicated to Colton, Jenn, and Scott. Thank you for bringing life and love into the world. As the day wore on and I anticipated a chance to do some writing, my mind was occupied with the task of conjuring insightful sentiments, allegories, or themes in which I could relate the content of this posting to the profound miracle of birth. Since my creativity fails me, I’m afraid I can offer but a maudlin recollection of my friends Jenn and Scott to set a tone for this latest chronological account. Though a sound thesis and structure evades my ingenuity, know that my words are from the heart.

I’ve known Scott all though college and for the most part he was but a casual associate, the type of guy I would run into at an obscure social function. I was always surprised with the amount of friends he had that turned out to be mutual acquaintances. It wasn’t until a week in North Carolina, midway through my senior year, that Scott became one of my best friends. I remember campfires on the beach, a 24 –7 karaoke joint known simply as The Jolly Roger, and the fact that we both digested The Road in a matter of days. The rest of that summer was highlighted by swimming in the Brandywine, rooftop parties, and developing life long relationships. Scott met his fiancĂ© that summer and while I didn’t know Jenn well, being that she was outside of my immediate social circle, it was impossible to ignore the positive impact she left on my friend. Scott went from being a full-time hippie and pushin’ pizzas with the likes of me, to straightening up and getting a career that many of us are envious of. Jenn, we had some memorable times together as well and I’ll never hesitate to call you my friend or swing halfa’ broken beer bottle on your side of a bar fight, but more than anything I love you for the change you’ve made in Scott. The guy went from being a carefree juvenile to a conscientious man. When I saw the pictures of Colton from the other side of the world I’ll admit that I began to tear, overtaken with the incontrovertible reality and joy of the situation. The smile on my face was such that I can’t fathom the reaction I’ll experience when I am in the same position. You’re both going to make awesome parents and I’m anxious for the day when Uncle Eric can be with your family in person. I’ll always be there if you need me, thanks for the friendship, and Happy Birthday Colton!

So on Saturday, after I got the news from Scott, I went to Korean BBQ with Charlie where I insisted we drink numerous toasts to my friends and their newborn. Later in the evening I decided to finally uncover some places in this town where foreigners hang out. In Suwon Station I wandered from place to place, transfixed by the neon lit throng reeling through the streets. I found English speakers in a matter of minutes, military personnel mostly. We strolled from one club to the next, exchanging stories and forgetting names. In one club we perplexedly discussed the strange dancing rituals laid out on the strobe lit floor before us. If you happened to be a Korean man you couldn’t just go up to a Korean girl and start dancing, but rather the girls would dance with each other while the guys danced with each other and over time gravity would pull the two spiraling masses into a suitable proximity. It looked awkward and very much like a middle school dance. If you were on the other hand, an American, you need not bother with these trivial formalities as both sexes were equally interested in your awesome foreign moves and flocked to shake it right next to you.

On Sunday I rode the tube back to Itaewon to meet Tony, a West Chester University graduate with whom I have mutual acquaintances. We had lunch, walked around the shopping district, and eventually explored the Korean War Memorial and museum. There is this really huge Cold-Warish spire mounted atop a nearby mountain that reminds me of a James Bond villian's lair. I’d like to say that, while inside the museam, I paid attention to artifacts of historical importance and mind-blowing statistics about however many of this or that nationality died in whatever war, but I was more concerned with having an English conversation and getting to know someone who can relate to Jakes on Matlack Street. Still, the military museum did instill an amazement in me as to how many creative ways our species has invented to destroy each other. Since I am apathetic towards describing the rest of that day in words I’ll let the following pictures do the talking. Oh, the Turtle Boat was the coolest part.

As my camera is now fully functional I decided to spend my Monday afternoon walking the perimeter of Hwaseong Fortress and taking pictures. It really is an awesome place, being built towards the end of the 18th Century in honor of some guy who was murdered by being locked in a rice chest for failing to commit suicide. Yeah…I really don’t know. I’ve seen a scale model of the fortress back when it enclosed all of Suwon, but the town has since, vastly overgrown its boundary. While the main gates and the majority of the wall remain intact, there are portions that are destroyed or lie concealed in grimy back alleys. I think it was meant to be a relocation of the capital Seoul, but this is not a history lesson. If you have further interest in Hwaseong Fortress click here, otherwise just check ou these snapshots.

Today was cool. My classes went very well following a revision of my lesson plan and Ms. Huh says she’s pleased with my performance, claiming I am both professional and a quick learner. Also figured out how to transfer money through my bank accounts but at present, you get screwed with the exchange rate. After school I decided to get some exercise and ran to the top of Chilbo Mountain. I hiked the ridge but took an unfamiliar trail down and got lost on the wrong side of the divide. As the sun was setting I was loath to return to the wooded confines of Chilbo, so I set off across the rice patties. Coming around to the southeast I happened upon a construction site and decided to cut across, my mental compass assuring me that it would save me valuable time. The site was massive, easily a mile across with deep gulleys and littered with Samsung earthmovers. The center featured the complex foundations of unborn skyscrapers and soaring golden cranes that dominated the region like thin, mechanical sentinels. Halfway across the barren expanse the earth was cut down to thick red-clay for as far as the eye could see. Aside from the odd tent here and there, the flat, red sea was devoid of human activity and for a few moments I could picture myself on Mars. I paused in my trek as the local squadron of F-16s screamed overhead, a low-altitude treat that I’ve yet to tire of. Eventually I found my way out of the torn, prepped earth and back in civilization.

It’s late now and in a few hours I’ll be waking for school. Before I go, let me extend a final Happy Birthday to Colton, I have no doubt that you will be one of the most enjoyable people I’ll have the pleasure of knowing in this life.

Cool Thing About Korea #6: Turtle Boats

2 comments:

  1. the pictures of the fortress are amazing. i must say - i am fascinated with asian architecture :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you eric I stole one of your pics. I'm using blogger now too: morningclam.blogspot.com --Anthony

    ReplyDelete