Monday, October 26, 2009

SUWON BY THE WAY!


Good-lordy was it gorgeous this weekend!  After a week of near shivering temperatures Suwon was surprisingly graced with summer-like warmth and sunshine.  I could have spent the weekend in flip flops had I not already stowed them somewhere under my bed in exchange for a fresh pair of Etnies.
After a quick sprint to the mountain I showered and joined a small part of the Topdang crew for an early dinner at Heejay's.  Then it was on to Bundang for a Book Exchange and Capture the Flag.  I didn't bring any books to trade as (per Perky's enthusiastic suggestion) I am currently spending what little reading time I have on a mediocre Steven King novel called Duma Key.  I'm about a fifth of the way through and still hoping that the plot takes an interesting turn somewhere but it starting to seem like Mr. King doesn't even care anymore.  There's none of the passion he had for novels like The Stand, Pet Cemetary, The Regulators, etc....but I'm getting off topic.  Having no literature to contribute to the collective, I spent my time cleaning up on the pool table and taking in native English conversation like a starving man eating double cheeseburgers. 

Late in the night the crew migrated to a nearby park for Capture the Flag.  Having no stealthy qualities about me I was taken prisoner early in the game.  Aside from tattooing gang symbols on fellow inmates and crafting shivs from beer cans and plastic bags I spent my time in prison trying to find the enemy's flag...but to no avail.  Eventually I was back in the game but it was called short when a friend fractured his collar-bone and had to go to the hospital.  Though variables such as wet-grass and alcohol undoubtedly had a hand in the incident I am ashamed to say that it was my awkward, lumbering mass that delivered the blow.  I'm deeply sorry that you spent the weekend in surgery buddy.  It's all fun and games till someone invites a 240lb Polish gorilla onto the field.  Sometimes I see myself as Lenny from Of Mice and Men; a tragic gentle giant who, not knowing his own strength, destroys all that is good and beautiful around him.


Saturday went well in that I managed to make it through the day with out breaking anything or injuring anyone.  I dragged myself out of bed around noon because the two Matt's were banging away at my door.  As you can see Matt #1 had an equally engaging evening, having awoken with a swollen eye, the cause of which he cannot accurately remember.


After a pot of black coffee and loud heavy metal I met the group up at Pizza School for an event I have been putting off all summer: A Suwon Bluewings game.  Yes, I had been meaning to go to one of the local soccer games for quite a few weeks now but it always seems as if something of slightly more consequence is occupying my weekend.  Well, not this Saturday.  As it was the last home game of the season (and Josh gave me his season pass (which I think was once Jareds so thanks to both of you)) I was committed to attending.  From Topdong we piled into two cabs and having a penchant for friendly competition combined with provoking taunts from Perky, I offered the cabbie a hefty tip (about $2) if he could beat the lesser group to World Cup Stadium.  There were some hairpining turns, near wrecks, and blind manuevers...much like any other taxi ride in Korea...but in the end it wasn't much of a competition at all.  Our man had clearly taken to the challenge and was the superior autoist, a seasoned and cunning chauffeur who knew every inch of the road as well as he knew the performance thresholds of his trusty machine. 

The World Cup Stadium is an impressively clean and modern complex.  A great part is that (unlike in America) prices aren't marked up 500% at the concession stands.  I got a large beer and a chicken sandwich for about the same price as I would have paid at a convienience store.  We sat next to the Suwon Bluewing Skullcrew, an enthusiastic group of soccer hooligans who don't cease their banging of drums, waving of flags, or cheering for a single moment of the game.  Their dedication is heartmoving.  Since all the cheers were in Korean I usually just joined in by uttering whatever gutteral noise my primitive western brain could similarly conjure.  Though I was often sure they were literally screaming "SUWON BLUEWINGS!" all I heard was "SUWON BY THE WAY!"


Aside from being my first time at a Bluewings game, it was also my first time at a professional soccer game.  The scoring in soccer is a little slow but the game play is exceptional and worthy of adoration.  I'd give it 7.5 out of 10 as far as live sporting events I have attended.

Following the game it was back to the station for the second night in a row at HeeJay's.  Man, I love that place.

When we were full of meat and beer Brian convinced a good number of us to go to norebang.  I have said before that I prefer karaoke over norebang, the fundamental difference being that karaoke is done in front of a large group of strangers whereas norebang is conducted in a small room with just your friends, but after this particular experience I'd have to say that I now rate the two almost equally.  This bang was hot!  Floor to ceiling mirrors, leather couches, a second floor loft, chandeliers, tasteful disco lights, and a music selection unlike any I've seen yet in the country.  Thanks for a great time Brian.  You will be missed.

So that's another unforgettable weekend in The Land of the Hazy Morning Subway Rides.  Thanks again for reading.

Cool Thing About Korea #33:Mondu

No comments:

Post a Comment