Tuesday, January 19, 2010

If you don't hear from me for two weeks I'm in a Thai prison. Call the US Embassy.

Oh how I love life.  Let me count the ways.

1.)  Though it is foggy and raining out the cold front has finally broken.  At one point it was around 5 degrees Fahrenheit.  Today I'm comfortable in just a hooded sweatshirt.
2.)  My job is great.  While some people I know are still teaching classes I'm catching up on Random House Classics, playing video games, and stalking Facebook.
3.) The gorgeous people I involve myself with, by virtue of their cerebral and physical endowments, have time and time again proved themselves to be genetically superior examples of the species and I'm blessed to have them as friends.
4.)  I got a really dignified, pristine condition, red leather arm chair for free the other day.
5.)  Been trying to find some new independent hip-hop to rock to for sometime now and I finally got turned onto Aesop Rock.  Check out this sic video.
6.)  Some stateside comrades finally got webcams after much deliberating.  Expect cyber-power hours to follow shortly.
7.)  Oh yeah...I'm leaving for Thailand tonight.

     That's right Thailand, Siam, the Unity of Thai Blood and Body.  The only country in Southeast Asia to never come under the rule of a European power.  I haven't really made solid plans for the trip yet but this is how I imagine it will turn out:

     Shortly after landing I'll be approached by a strange westerner in a bar talking about a secret island paradise.  He'll give me a map to the island before disappearing into his room and committing suicide.  Despite the horrific nature of the event and going against my better judgment I'll head south to Koh Phangan where I'll meet a charming French couple.  Together, the three of us will follow the map to the island, encountering near-death experiences such as a two-mile long swim that could potentially cause us to drown, a bone crushing jump from a water fall, and having to evade AK-47 weilding guards on a vast marijuana plantation.
     Eventuallly we'll come upon a community of travelers who accept us as their own and for a time everything will be great.  We'll play volleyball all day, go fishing, I'll earn everyone's respect by killing a Mako shark with my bare hands, and under a star-lit sky the beautiful French mademoisselle will fall inescapably in love with me.
     Unfortunately, it will all fall apart.  I'll break the French girl's heart after the matriarchal leader of the commune seduces me on a supply gathering expedition.  Then a Swedish member of the group will develop a gangreanous infection in his leg after being bit by a shark.  We'll leave him in the woods to die but it will ultimately be up to me to smother the life out of him so that the rest of us can attempt to continue our utopian existence.  Finally, a group of surfers who will discover the island only because I stupidly gave them a copy of my map will be murdered by the plantation guards.  They'll demand that, as the one responsible for disclosing the location, the community do away with me or everyone must leave the island.  In an attempt to restore utopia the matriarch will put a gun to my head and pull the trigger.  Fortunately, the gun will be unloaded.  But after realizing the price at which paradise must be purchased the remaining members of the community will be filled with regret and disband.  I'll return to Korea shortly after and go back to teaching but forever , the memories on that island will be imprinted on my soul.


Cool Thing About Korea #44: Immaculate Public Restrooms...in theory.

1 comment:

  1. So you read The Beach? Funny that you wrote that because I was just thinking about that book as I consider teaching English in Korea which would of course include a variety of other spectacular travels! :)

    ReplyDelete