Sunday, January 10, 2010

Korea Perceived With Conceptions of 1950's America

I know people who have lived in Korea for as long as nine years while I have been here less than nine months, so be assured that I am in no way an authority on the cultural intricacies present within the country.  I also never lived during the 1950's in America but I took several college classes covering the Post War Era and the American Dream which I feel is at least enough to hold an amateur discussion on the issue.  It is with these novice observations that I continually draw parallels between the Korean peninsulla and my pre-concieved notions of the America my grandfather grew up in which I have for some time felt compelled to write about.  These similarities are numerous and dynamic, encapsulating issues such as industry, politics, feminism, and cultrual ethos.  I will do my best to discuss my experiences of these parallels but keep in mind, this is not a research paper.  I'm not trying to uncover hard cultural facts.  I'm just trying to pass some time at work by critically thinking through an issue that has occured to me for some time.  If you think some of my conclusions are wrong or dissillusioned please feel free to retort.  I love feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment