Monday, November 30, 2009

A Lost Love Unexpectedly Found



So it came to pass in time
 That inevitable affliction left to mortals
My heart was torn, shattered, and empty
Resentful, a cold barren portal

I needed that love so badly
An affair left half a world away
Memories of delicious times together
Are painful blows amongst the fray

Considering the attributes of what I had
Qualities unappreciated before the waste
Golden skin and luscious legs
Curves, texture, smell and taste

Thursday past was the day we shared
But nowhere in Korea could my love be found
I grew desperate, hungry, manical
Ambitions trodden to the ground

Prospects with my beloved murky
Divine news came via Facebook
"Dinner in Bundang.  Come eat turkey!"


Hark the angels sounded horns!
Blinding light and soulful peace!
I couldn't spend Thanksgiving with family
But we'd still be having a feast!


Mia's place was packed with
Korean friends new and old
Through mouthfuls of stuffing and poultry
Good jokes and stories were told

Eight months of teaching English
Not a morsel of dark or white
Like a man condemmed to death
I savored every little bite


To acquire turkey in this country
Is no easy feat
I'd like to thank all who were there
For allowing me to share their meat

The memories made this weekend
Were both delicious and somewhat hazy
 I'm suprised I did much at all
For the tryptophan makes me lazy.

Cool Thing About Korea #39:  Alcohol is such an ingrained part of Korean society that it's hardly considered a drug.  People here won't even conduct business with each other unless it's over a few bottles of soju because the mentality is that alcohol reveals a persons true character.  In fact, most crimes in Korea carry a lesser sentence if the perpetrator was intoxicated when the crime was committed.  The rationale behind this being that the subject was mentally impaired.  Fortunately, recent legislation is seeking to revise these ass-backwards policies and to start holding people accountable for their actions.

P.S. - Thanks for forgiving me for breaking your collar bone.  You know who you are. 






1 comment: